Thursday, June 26, 2008

The mixing bowl: Pichet Ong


The master maestro of unconventional pairings and absurdly delicious desserts and baked goods, Pichet Ong makes New Yorkers proud. Here's a taste of what he loves best.

Growing up, my favorite sweet was:
Marmalades of any kind. I always start off every morning with a spoonful of fruit jam. I'm particularly fond of strawberry. However if you don't consider that to be a sweet, then I'd have to say chocolate chip cookie.

My favorite sweet now is:
Chocolate chip cookie still. Always have a batch in the freezer ready to be baked, at home, and at Batch! And ice cream — rum raisin.

My personal favorite from Batch:
My favorite changes day to day depending on whatever is the newest thing in the case, today it's the apricot filled chocolate cupcake with green tea frosting.

What I love about the West Village is:
The charm of neighborhood, the culture of its residents, the style of architecture, the street names, the chaos of how the streets converge, the easy access to Chinatown, Soho, meatpacking, and Chelsea, the boutiques on Bleecker, and of course, all the chefs who have restaurants in West Village.

Truffles or pralines:
Truffles

White, milk or dark:
Very often milk, but also very often dark.

Caramel, ganache or cream:
Cream

The perfect pairing:
Strawberries and cream, peaches and cream, passionfruit and chocolate, sugar & salt.

I'd love to create a flavor for:
A universal palate.

Kitchen essentials:
Whisk, offfset spatula, rubber spatula, and spoons.

Style essentials:
Expensive jeans, old t-shirts from high school (amazingly still fit!), designer underwear, comfortable shoes, a supersized man bag, and diamond rings.

Pastry chefs I admire:
Too many to mention.

I'm most inspired when:
There is beauty.

How much is too much?
Never too much.

Favorite movie snack:
Popcorn and chocolate, sparking water.

Guilty pleasure:
Foie gras

Other favorites:
Chinese, Japanese, & Italian foods; haute Chinese cuisine; autobiographies; urban culture; Scandinavian design; road trips, cruises, big cities/country; electronica/dance music, Madonna.

No comments: