Thursday, August 21, 2008

Vampy cupcake

When the gals at Daisy May's told me their red velvet cupcake had won a blind taste test conducted by The New York Times, I was swayed. I had to order one (barbecue chicken and bourbon peaches be damned!).

What the gals didn't tell me was that their top honors, clinched from a sampling of 19 bakeries, were shared with Make My Cake — reminding me that I have to get to Harlem for one of their amazing cupcakes, some of the best I've ever had.

The Times' piece explores the history of red velvet cake, its recent rise in popularity and some of the tricks to baking it right (beets to make it red, not food coloring). It's an enlightening article. But what makes it really great is its descriptive language: "clouds of snowy frosting," "rich fluff," "vampy allure," "the Dolly Parton of cakes." Awesome.

Back to Daisy May's: their red velvet cupcake is more about the taste than the presentation. It's served in a plastic tub. But the cake is moist and slightly crumbly. The frosting, super thick and creamy. The combination of the two, "rich" and "vampy."

Daisy May's BBQ USA
623 11th Avenue at 46th
212.977.1500

No comments: