Monday, December 12, 2011

Christopher Elbow

Unless you’re from Kansas City or a devout chocoholic, chances are you don’t know Christopher Elbow’s chocolates. Pity.

The young Midwesterner transitioned from pastry chef to full-time chocolatier when demand for his exquisite bonbons ballooned and he opened a flagship boutique in KC in 2007. A year later, he debuted in my old ‘hood, Hayes Valley, and I was all too happy to give him a try (after my scoop of Smitten ice cream, naturally).

Elbow is known for his well-balanced flavors, none of which are too standard. Whiskey walnut, brown butter and molasses, cinnamon and black tea... Even with the ridiculous amount of bonbons I’ve consumed these past few months, I haven’t seen such great flavors.


(So pretty, too.)



But ever a creature of habit, I chose a favorite standby: a creamy peanut butter patty.

Sure enough, it was creamy. Chocolaty. And deliciously dotted with sea salt.


Santa, don’t be afraid to stuff my stocking with more of these otherworldly samples…

1 comment:

TinaRBK said...

I love candy shops but rarely have the chance to frequent any. Your visit to this one does look like some delicious fun. The flavors you listed and the pictures tell me that I would be purchasing quite a bit from this place-yum! Thanks for sharing your stop into this wonderful confection shop.